Tomorrow is March 1st, which means it’s time to start reading Pet Sematary! Who’s in? Oh come on, you know you want to. After all, this is the book that even Uncle Stevie considers scary (or so the story goes).
I haven’t started it yet (tomorrow!), but I gotta say, the cover has already freaked me the hell out. It’s the one with the screeching black cat and green lettering (hence the colors in the buttons). And okay, my book doesn’t talk so the cat isn’t really screeching. But if it did talk, I know it would be (screeching, that is). It would probably also come after me with a knife in its paw, but we’re not going to go down that road. Because this is a nightmare-free readalong!
So. Readalong details. If you’ve ever done a readalong with me (and okay, it’s been awhile…you may not believe me, but once upon a time, on a blog far, far away, I really was a book blogger) you know I can get a little silly (clown noses. giant sunglasses. bad songs.). I don’t always get silly, but the scarier the book (or the more boring, I’m equal opportunity like that), the greater the potential for silliness. Unless the book just happens to be The Brothers Karamazov, and then all I’ll do is post snarky comments about how awful the book is and how miserable I am. But that’s not going to happen this time! You know why? BECAUSE UNCLE STEVIE IS NOT A DEAD RUSSIAN.
Anyhoosie. Scary book! Silliness! This means I have care packages to get us through this. Except I wasn’t planning for a huge turnout (or any kind of turnout, really), so I’ve really only got care packages for those who pre-registered (hah, that sounds all official-like). This is the group who publicly proclaimed their intent to join on my original instagram post:
I do have 1 more care package. It’s free to the first additional person who comments that they’re joining the madness. If you are in the original gang of 11, please email me your address (unless your name is Care…not that Care can’t email me, but I practically have her addie memorized, because FYI, she’s the best pen-pal ever), so I can get your care package in the mail ASAP (or whenever I get to the post office). Email is somewhereinabook, gmail, blah, blah, blah. I’m sure you can figure that out, yeah?
- instagram and twitter hashtag: #gangstercats (hey, I was trying to keep it short and silly). Most of you know that I am usually on instagram (@jilllora), and I will do my best to keep up on twitter (@JilleeBeene), but you’ll have to cut me a little twitter slack since I haven’t been on in 2 years.
- read at your own pace, post/tweet/instagram/scream whenever you feel like it
- I’ll put up a check in post at the end of March and again on April 15th. And if you’ve posted thoughts on your blog, I’ll link to everyone’s posts later in April (just in case you’re a slacker poster like me, I’m giving you some time to get that post written).
- the care packages will have instructions for a group activity. I’d love it if you participated, but no need to stress over it, so it’s all good if you don’t want to play along. And if you missed out on the care package and still want to participate, I will explain more later (later meaning another post, not later in this post, which is quickly turning into a novella).
- if anyone wants to watch the movie instead of read the book, more power to you. You’re still welcome to join us…I’d love to know how cheesy the movie is! Bonus points (but no kitty treats) if you read AND watch.
I think that about covers it. Leave me a comment if you want to join the fun, send me an email if you’re listed above so I know where to send the care package, holler if you have any questions, instagram as the mood strikes, talk smack about the book (or me) on twitter to see if I’m listening, and GO READ!